Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All Good 2

I'm still working on how to phrase the story, but it boils down to this: the music is great. It's a fantastic venue for music. The sound is good and having the two stages side by side makes for quick transitions between major and minor acts. It flows marvelously with very little waiting around. The staff is mostly helpful and the vendors aren't completely trying to fuck you over. The prices were inflated, but probably less than the state fair. I even liked the food.

The festival is an experience. I recommend it.

Highlights of my one day visit:

Todd Snider is amazing live. It's crazy how much better he sounds live than on the album.
Les Claypool is probably nuts, though his new album based on a mostly failed video game he wrote the soundtrack to sounds like it might be fun.
Galactic was OK.
I would have liked to have seen all of Bob Weir's set, but what I saw was pretty good.

Single, but important warning.
Don't bring your kids. Sure, sure, the website makes a deal about family camping and activities for the kids, but that clashes with the central purpose of All Good, which is to get stoned and listen to hippie music.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed your All Good Experience.

    This year made was my 9th year attending the All Good Festival. I started way back in 1999 when it was held at Wilmers Park in Brandywine, MD. I took a break after my daughter was born, so I did not attend in 2007 and 2008. So this year was my return to All Good after a 2 year break.

    This was also the first year that I was not working in some capacity while at the festival. I have done various things throughout the years including leading the "Green Crew" (we were the ones who picked up all the trash and cigarette buts off the ground), selling thousands of dollars worth of ice, being a "patch guy" (this involves doing whatever happens to need done at the time), and working for the band that I was Tour Manager for. The All Good Festival is part of who I am and I plan on going back to work next year.

    I both agree and disagree with your statement about bringing kids. The Family camping area is very kid friendly and I would not hesitate to bring my daughter there in the next few years. (The only reason we did not take her this year was we were being kinda selfish, and did not want to have to head back to camp early and so forth.) This year my wife and I camped in the "Even Better" VIP area, and this is another area where I would not hesitate to take my child. With that said, there is NO WAY IN HELL that I would take her into the General camping area. It gets way too wild and crazy for children there. I would also avoid "Shakedown Street" (The area in the campground where all the vendors are set up) after dark. During the daytime, I believe it would be ok, but not after dark.

    Tim and Junipa (the founders of the All Good) are family people and do every thing they can to make this a family friendly event, and I can assure you that the central purpose of All Good is not to get stoned and listen to hippie music.

    Hopefully next year we can meet up and hang out a little. In the mean time, I am having a Family Friendly party/mini-festival on Aug, 22. Looks like I'm gonna have 5 bands playing. We are roasting a pig and there will be lots of beer. Oh, and bring the kids. We will have lots of kids activities too. Get in touch w/ me via facebook for directions and more info.

    MTB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun. I don't know who all played but I'd've dug seein' Ratdog. If you want to enjoy the festival thing, check out Bonnaroo. Not quite Woodstock '99 but bigger than All Good. Tons o' music and fun for everyone!

    See ya!

    ReplyDelete