Thursday, May 21, 2009

DBT at the Clay Center

In case you missed the announcement, the Clay Center has published their new schedule. Among the highlights, the Drive By Truckers are coming back in November. The band recently played Mountain Stage, but Patterson Hood was pretty much the walking dead and the show was very downbeat for what was expected. More than a few people were disappointed.

Anyway, I was digging through my old files and found a rough draft on a Drive By Trucker article I wrote a couple of years ago. Three years back, I did an insane number of All Good festival articles. There was just so many choices, I was kind of like a kid in a candy store and really lost track of who I scheduled. So, Patterson Hood just calls up one afternoon. We had an appointment. I hadn't written it down. I wasn't prepared, didn't have my notes and so we winged it. The results were a bit --eh, but that happens when you're unprepared, haven't listened to the album and only vaguely know who they are.

Three years ago, I didn't know who a lot of people are. This is the kind of job where you're always going to be at least a little behind.

Anyway, most of the good stuff, I had to leave out of the article, including the part about him toking his first joint here in Charleston -which was funny and should be printed on state tourism flyers. "West Virginia: a place to smoke pot." He might have even seen his first pair of live, naked breasts here, but my memory is a little faulty on the subject. Someone told me this was the town where their first concert here was also the place where they saw their first set of beer-drenched tits.

This should also be printed on tourism flyers.

Anyway, Hood and company are headed back for a show that will hopefully redeem their lesser loved recent performance... what would be funny is if Niko Case was the opening act, but I'm not holding my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment